St Mary, Wingfield
Sunday, 1 October
9.30am – Harvest Festival Family Service
Sunday, 8 October
9.30am – Morning Prayer
Sunday, 15 October
9.30am – Chuppa Sunday (Family Service)
Sunday, 22 October
9.30am – Holy Communion
Sunday, 29 October
9.30am – Benefice Songs of Praise
Our beautiful medieval church is open to visitors every day! We look forward to welcoming you!
St Mary’s, Wingfield, is a listed building with a 15th century tower. The earliest recorded rector, Thomas Shawebure, was appointed in 1313. St Mary’s has served the village ever since.
The church lies at the south-east end of the village of Wingfield and consists of a chancel, nave, west tower, south porch, and a vestry. With the exception of the 15th century tower and chancel arch it dates from the 17th century and all the windows, other than the east window which is modern, are of that period. The vestry, built on the north side, is a late addition and houses an organ, installed by the 5th Earl Temple of Stowe.
St Mary’s celebrated its 700th anniversary in 2013, and a short history of the church was published to commemorate the event. Copies are available in the church or an electronic version can be requested by contacting the Benefice Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our historic organ was restored in Summer 2020 we look forward to enjoying it in our Sunday worship, and to some exciting concerts in the future.
The Rector and church members maintain a close involvement with the Mead Community Primary School (Wingfield Site) just along the road, and with the whole village community.
Revd Canon Joanna Abecassis
David Robinson – email@example.com